cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i need some help doing an initial configuration of my cisco 2621XM router

alstergee
Level 1
Level 1

my router needs to forward our ext. ip 63.77.xxx.xxx port 21 to our ftp server 192.168.0.240 can anyone put that into a coded line for me? the tutorils page was anything but helpful... i also figured out how to SET dns entries, but i cant figure out how to set the default one, or remove the entries that i don't need.

19 Replies 19

The router does not have anything to do with which DNS the clients look for.

I understand you have a local DNS. Is this working? Is this the DNS the clients look for?

Then we can check the redirection part.

Federico.

the local DNS (192.168.0.240) which is also our main production server (active directory, FTP server, File server) just forwards DNS queries to OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) who we use to filter internet usage. on all our clients i set them to use 192.168.0.240, and 208.67.222.222 for the secondary so that each client will use the servers DNS for active directory purposes, and if it cant find that, it'll use open dns directly. if i don't need to configure anything in the router for DNS then its no problem, i mainly need to focus on getting services forwarded from the router to our boxes. i was also told that i have to do something to make all the work i've done stay if the router ever gets restarted.

To allow the internal clients to work with the DNS, nothing has to be done on the router.

To forward traffic to your internal boxes, you do this:

ip nat inside source static tcp x.x.x.x PORT1 y.y.y.y PORT2

I'm going to explain the above command:

Traffic that reaches IP public IP y.y.y.y on PORT2 will be redirected to inside private IP x.x.x.x on PORT1

This means that for example, if you want to redirect port 80 traffic coming on IP 200.1.1.1 to internal IP 10.1.1.1 on port 8080,

what you do is this:

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.1.1.1 8080 200.1.1.1 80

Federico.

nice answer that helped alot actually, but i've done this and redone it thinking i had messed up just to find that it still doesn't work... i can ping, and access the ftp site from within the network just fine, and had it all working on our edgewater router but it crapped the bed last week so i switched it out for the cisco router and now even though everything is the same, and the settings on here say it should be working its not : /

We should be able to figure it out...

If you post some specific questions, I'll try to help you with this.

Federico.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card