cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I need to calculate the amount of watts that I need to purchase a UPS. Should I use the Power (max) with AC or Typical power (no modules) details in the data sheet? Thanks.

esystems
Level 1
Level 1
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't know how you'll eventually populate the device, impacting its power draw, I would lean toward supporting the maximum. That way you shouldn't come up short when there's a real event.

For UPS, however, it's a bit more complicated then the power draw on datasheets because with a UPS you need to figure how "long" you want to support a power draw. You'll want to multiply your power draw by how much time you want to provide it to select the UPS with the capacity needed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't know how you'll eventually populate the device, impacting its power draw, I would lean toward supporting the maximum. That way you shouldn't come up short when there's a real event.

For UPS, however, it's a bit more complicated then the power draw on datasheets because with a UPS you need to figure how "long" you want to support a power draw. You'll want to multiply your power draw by how much time you want to provide it to select the UPS with the capacity needed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card