Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP and eBGP question

trinawong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

If a router running both iBGP and eBGP, iBGP local preference is 250, eBGP local preference 100, be default, what's the route it should choose? and Why?

Thank you,

20 Replies 20

Harold, To your reply stating "AD will never be used to compare 2 bgp routes" , I would like to comment that we indirectly are. I mean, the path selection criteria #7 states that prefer e-bgp over i-bgp. So though we are not looking and comparing the AD, its just another way to look at it; isn't it?

:)

Marwan:

I was interpreting your response within the context of the question that was asked.

"If a router running both iBGP and eBGP, iBGP local preference is 250, eBGP local preference 100, be default, what's the route it should choose?"

Then your answer:

"simply always if u have route reachable through IBGP and EBGP EBGP will be selcted"

It seems as though you are saying that, NO MATTER WHAT, even given the circumstances given in the question, eBGP will always be selected.

If you meant that all other things being equal that eBGP will be selected, then you are right.

Shukrun

Victor

Niranjan,

Step #7 is not about the AD but rather about internal vs. external. You could change the AD for eBGP to be higher than iBGP and the BGP best path selection process would still select the external path over the internal path, given that all attributes compared in the previous steps are equals.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Harish,

The eBGP path is preferred over the iBGP path, assuming that all previous steps in the BGP best path selection process were equals.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

rcsl
Level 1
Level 1

For the practical scenario of this discussion >> https://roshanznet.blogspot.com/2019/08/route-preference-of-ebgp-over-ibgp-and.html 

Hope this will clear your confusion..

@rcsl wrote:

For the practical scenario of this discussion >> https://roshanznet.blogspot.com/2019/08/route-preference-of-ebgp-over-ibgp-and.html 

Hope this will clear your confusion..

THE LINK ABOVE IS A CLICKBAIT. PLEASE DO NOT CLICK!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card