Views
Helpful
Replies

IBGP +AS number

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would like to know whether we can use our AS number while configuring IBGP?

Scenario:

we have 2 sites (A&B). Both locations has dedicated MPLS links with differenet AS numbers. We have a dedicated DS3 link between site A & B. We would like to implement ibgp over the DS3 link so that if Site A MPLS goes down, traffic from site A will take the DS3 link and goes thru Site B MPLS link and vice versa.

Thanks,

Sridhar

4 Replies 4

Ajay Raj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can configure HSRP or EBGP. Please clarifiy your topology.

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

If I understand you correctly, site A and B has same AS and they are connected with DS3 link. Both sites has also link to different ISP [different AS].

You can use your AS to peer between A and B, but it depends on your topology if you will need to use RR or iBGP full-mesh to advertise BGP routes to all iBGP peers. Also probably you will need to modify BGP parameters to prefer uplink to ISP or iBGP connection. It all depends on your requirements.

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

no, i want to configure iBGP between the 2 sites. Both sites has 2 dedicated MPLS links with different AS. My question is to run ibgp between two sites over DS3, can i use my own AS (not the one that we are using for eBGP) or do i need to get it from MPLS provider? i know iBGP needs to have same AS at both ends.

No, it is not possible to run iBGP session between A and B site as you draw it. On one router, you can have BGP associate only with one AS.

Best way would be to use on router A and router B same AS.

ISP1

router bgp 100

neighbor siteA remote-as 65000

ISP2

router bgp 200

neighbor siteB remote-as 65000

SiteA

router bgp 65000

neighbor isp1 remote-as 100

neighbor siteB remote-as 65000

SiteB

router bgp 65000