cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP Multi-Link Question

jcartier
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in a scenario where I have two routers, configured with two loopbacks, connected together via two links. I'm in the process of transitioning from one loopback to the other and I was wondering if there are any caveats to having two sessions up...one BGP session to the first lookback (existing), then another BGP session up to the second loopback (new).

I don't believe their should be any issues with this...and I don't see any documentation suggesting otherwise...just thought I'd ask to be certain :-)

ROUTER1============ROUTER2

Lo1:10.1.1.1/32 Lo1:10.1.2.1/32

Lo2:10.1.1.2/32 Lo2:10.1.2.2/32

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Jeff,

I think you shouldn't have any problem in this migration to loop2 iBGP endpoints.

It should be better if iBGP next-hop = OSPF router-id it is more safe it will pass the sync test (if sync is not disabled).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeff,

your understanding is correct: you can setup the second iBGP session that uses the loop2 on both routers.

Some issues can arise if redistributing ospf into/from BGP: it has been noticed that is necessary to have OSPF router-id = BGP router-id

If there isn't any redistribution of BGP or into BGP it should be a smooth transition.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The OSPF router-ids were changed prior to this upcoming change...thus the router-ids will be the source loopbacks for BGP. No problems then? :)

THanks!

Hello Jeff,

I think you shouldn't have any problem in this migration to loop2 iBGP endpoints.

It should be better if iBGP next-hop = OSPF router-id it is more safe it will pass the sync test (if sync is not disabled).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card