Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP routes not getting redistributed into EIGRP

Inderjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends..

I am facing problem with redistribution of iBGP learned routes into EIGRP..  Please see the diagram attached..

here is the scenario..

eBGP = Between R1 and R2, Between R1 and R3

iBGP = Between R2 and R3

EIGRP= Between R4 and R2, Between R4 and R3, between R2 and R5, between R5 and R3

R1 router is acting as service provider router.. I have changed the BGP metrics to infulence the primary path for R4 so that between R1 and R2 path is preffered.. R2 and R3 also running iBGP between them and EIGRP to carry the internet routes.. I have changed EIGRP metric so that primary Path from R4 is R4--R2

When the link between R2 and R1 is up.. the preferred path from R4 to R1 is  R4>> R2 >> R1... this works good ..

The problem is when the link between R2 and R1 is down.. the path from R4 is also switched over.. i.e.. the path changes to R4>>R3>>R1

My intention is that when the primary path R2--R1 fails.. the path from R4 should remain as R4>> R2>>R3>>R1

I am redistributing eBGP learned routes from R2 and R3 with better metric from R2.. so that the Path from R4 stays as R4>>R2>>R1 when R2--R1 link is up but when the R2--R1 link is down, I learn routes on R2 via iBGP from R3.. so in this case R3 is redistributing eBGP routes into EIGRP and R2 is redistributing iBGP routes into EIGRP.. but on R4 I only see routes coming from R3.. not from R2.. so it perfers path R4>>R3>>R1 .. I am not sure why this is happening..

Any help will be appreciated friends...

3 Replies 3

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

iBGP routes are not redistributed into IGP until the bgp redistribute-internal command is configured under the router bgp command.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009487e.shtml

for details.

If this is not your problem, have you chacked the iBGP route is really the best one on R2.

What does sh ip bgp x.x.x.x/y show on R2 for your R1 subnets?

What about the opposite direction?

I'm afraid R3 will still sent data to R4 directly, not via R2?

Thanks.. It helped but somehow it created loop.. so I have disabled this command and instead used static routing R4--R3 link.

Thanks..

Why not use route reflection and get rid of the EIGRP?  I was running into this same issue with a router cluster.  I had EIGRP for v4 and RIPv6 running along side BGP.  RIP was creating a loop that I simply could not figure out.

So, I have redesigned and set up iBGP on all of the routers in the cluster. See this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c95bb.shtml#case4

For your example, R2 and R3 would be the reflectors and designated as a BGP cluster.  R4 and R5 would be the clients. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card