Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IBGP session between RR in the same cluster

Hi,

I was thinking about the reason (if exist !) behind the IBGP session between RRs when configured in the same cluster-id.

Basically consider a cluster made of 2 RRs and RRCs each having sessions with the two RRs. RRs are configured in the same bgp cluster (for instance bgp cluster-id 1) . In this this scenario I've seen many times an IBGP session configured between two RRs.

Now, AFAIK, when RR advertise a RRC received NLRI it add the cluster-id value configured. So, excluding NLRI local originated or EBGP learned, the other RR will drop the update advertised on this IBGP session

Does it make sense ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carlo,

If I understand you correctly then you are asking why should multiple RRs in a single cluster be peered in BGP. The basic reason is the same as with any iBGP peering - if one of the RRs learns about a new network via eBGP or via local injection, it needs to tell it to the other RR directly, as no RR client would do that.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Any answer in appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Carlo,

If I understand you correctly then you are asking why should multiple RRs in a single cluster be peered in BGP. The basic reason is the same as with any iBGP peering - if one of the RRs learns about a new network via eBGP or via local injection, it needs to tell it to the other RR directly, as no RR client would do that.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,

Peter

Great ! As you said and I supposed eBGP or locally injected networks are the only reasons for that iBGP session

Thanks a lot

Hi Carlo,

As you said and I supposed eBGP or locally injected networks are the only reasons for that iBGP session

Yes, but surely, that's reason enough!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card