cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICND1 lab setup

Trev1964
Level 1
Level 1

I just started studying for the CCNA a month or so ago and I have been trying to connect two Cisco 3750 switches to two Cisco 877W routers. Can someone help me with the cable connections? I know this might seem trivial, but I cannot seem to get the lab components to communicate with each other. I have connected my PC with a Cat6 cable directly to a LAN port on the router that I would like to use as the main access point (I think that is correct), but I get no response when I ping the IP address that I gave the router. 

38 Replies 38

Trev,

Your router configs have defaulted back to factory settings.  Your ports are shut down again, so you will have to issue a no shutdown on them to get them back up again.  That is most likely why you could not ping once you powered your lab back on the next day:

interface FastEthernet0
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet1
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet2
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet3
shutdown
no cdp enable

When the config-register is set to 0x2142, it bypasses the startup-config. It is mainly used for password recovery.  You need to have your config register read 0x2102 in order for the router to boot into the saved configuration.

As for the cross-over cable and connecting like to like devices goes;  Try to think of it as "like-to-like ports" rather than "like-to-like devices." Remember, some routers (such as the 877 you have) have a combination of layer 2 and layer 3 ports.  Switches have all layer 2 ports.  So, if you are trying to connect your switch to your 877 router on any of the fa0, fa1 fa2 or fa3 ports, that would be layer 2 port to layer 2 port, which still qualifies as "like-to-like," and warrants a cross-over cable.  Here's a good way to remember it:  "Can I assign an IP address to this port? If yes, layer 3 routed port.  If no, layer 2 switchport."  Newer Cisco devices also support something called "auto-MDIX." If the ports on your device have auto-MDIX enabled (which I believe the 877 does by default), it doesn't matter if you use a cross or straight cable as Auto-MDIX senses and adapts to whichever one you use, regardless of like-to-like to like-to-unlike rules.  Without knowing the model of your switch I can't say if that will work end-to-end.

As for trying to assign an IP address on fa1/0/1 on your switch; Remember, a switch is a layer 2 device, and layer 2 ports cannot have IP addresses assigned to them because IP is a layer 3 function. This is the same principal of why you couldn't assign an IP address to the fa0 fa1 fa2 or fa3 ports on your Cisco 877 router.  For a switch, if you want to assign IP addresses you have to do it on the vlan interface, and ensure you have at least one active switchport on the switch tagged with the vlan the IP address exists on.  Below is an example:

int vlan 1

no shut

ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.0.0

int fa1/0/1

no shut

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1

Run those commands and then plug port 1 into another device to bridge it up and the switch will reply when you ping 172.16.0.1.  From there you can follow my write up from an earlier post in this thread to get SSH working. 

After reading your explanation I realized how silly my question was.

Thank you!!! 

No worries at all. SVI's can be confusing when you are just starting out.

Hi, Dean, I have to report that since my last question, I was able to create VLAN 10 and 20 on both switches, I applied interface fa0/1 on both switches to VLAN 10 and on both switches, I configured a trunk without VTP. I have also assigned an IP address on both switches, which now allows me to ping from one switch to the next. I now have a better understanding of the CLI and how VLANs and trunks work. If my reference to VTP is not correct, please let me know. Also, if I missed something in my explanation, please let me know. 

Thank you again!

Correction: I applied Ip addresses to the VLANs.

Hi Trev,

Excellent. I am glad to hear of your success.  VTP is a management application/function built into Cisco switches that basically propagates VLANs throughout the network. It's use is completely optional.  Some people swear by it, and others think it is unnecessary.  Personally I am in the latter camp of thinking it is unnecessary, but that is because A) I learned VLANs without it and B) I don't like relying on VTP to propagate configurations throughout my network when I find it just as easy to do it manually without the doubt of wondering if it propagated everywhere I intended. However, VTP doesn't really have anything to do with trunks.  I think perhaps the terminology you meant to use was DTP. 

Reference link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Trunking_Protocol

Hi Dean, sorry for the late reply. That is what I meant.

I have been trying to setup telnet and SSH on one of my routers, but I keep getting this message when I try to telnet in: Trev-router2#telnet 192.168.178.5
Trying 192.168.178.5 ...
% Connection refused by remote host

Can you tell me why this is happening? 

Trev-router2(config-if)#ip add 192.168.178.5 255.255.255.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card