cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICND1 lab setup

Trev1964
Level 1
Level 1

I just started studying for the CCNA a month or so ago and I have been trying to connect two Cisco 3750 switches to two Cisco 877W routers. Can someone help me with the cable connections? I know this might seem trivial, but I cannot seem to get the lab components to communicate with each other. I have connected my PC with a Cat6 cable directly to a LAN port on the router that I would like to use as the main access point (I think that is correct), but I get no response when I ping the IP address that I gave the router. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

It looks like your switchports are shutdown on your 877 router. Please ensure they are enabled and test again. You can do this by the following in the router:

config t
int fa0
no shut
int fa1
no shut
int fa2
no shut
int fa3
no shut

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Please share the config of your 877W and we can work out what is going wrong.

cheers,

Seb.

version 12.4
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname 
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$O1IK$MAGmjSNlZMf24GEUcDpDW1

!
no aaa new-model
!
!
dot11 syslog
ip cef

rchive
log config
hide

interface Loopback0
ip address 10.108.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface ATM0
ip address 10.1.1.5 255.255.255.0
no atm ilmi-keepalive
dsl operating-mode auto
!
interface FastEthernet0
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet1
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet2
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet3
shutdown
no cdp enable
!
interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
shutdown
speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
station-role root
no cdp enable
!
interface Vlan1
ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
!
router rip
version 2
network 10.0.0.0
network 192.168.1.0
no auto-summary
!
ip forward-protocol nd
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
no modem enable

line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password cisco
login
!
scheduler max-task-time 5000
no process cpu extended
no process cpu autoprofile hog
end

Is the information that I posted what you were looking for?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Hi

You can use straight cables to connect switches to routers, also you can use any port, now in order to interconnect 2 routers you should use crossover cables. You can use the LAN port to connect your Access Point, if Im not wrong this router model supports switching features. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

That did help because I did not know that I had to use a crossover to connect the two routers. I just order one. 

Thanks!!

Hello,

It looks like your switchports are shutdown on your 877 router. Please ensure they are enabled and test again. You can do this by the following in the router:

config t
int fa0
no shut
int fa1
no shut
int fa2
no shut
int fa3
no shut

Solid advice! I did not think that I had to open all ports.

Thank you!!

Well, you don't have to open all of them, but you definitely want to make sure the one you are connecting a cable to is open. I wasn't sure which of the LAN ports you were plugging into so the config I sent over opens them all.

You helped me to remember how to use the no shut command. I really did just start this journey, so forgive my ignorance.

No problem at all.  Did enabling the port allow you to successfully ping your router?

*Sep 22 17:51:26.275: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consoleping ip
Target IP address:
% Bad IP address
trev#ping 10.1.1.2

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/4 ms
trev#

trev#telnet 10.1.1.2
Trying 10.1.1.2 ... Open

User Access Verification

Username:

I have another problem. I am trying to set up SSH on the router, but I keep getting an error message saying that "% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links". How can solve this problem?

Excellent, I am glad you are able to get to your router now.

As for your SSH question:  There are two types of ports - layer 3 ports, which are routed ports that can have IP addresses assigned to them, and layer 2 ports, which are switchports that cannot have IP addresses assigned to them.  If you need management to a device with only layer 2 ports available on the segment you want to manage (i.e. your LAN), then what you want to do is assign IP addresses to a VLAN interface, and then tag that vlan to the layer 2 port.  An example is below:

config t
int vlan1
ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
int fa0
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1

So the IP address is assigned to the vlan 1 interface, and the switchport is tagged with vlan 1, which makes the router responsive on the 10.1.1.2 address.

Also, for SSH to work you need to define a domain name on the router, generate a crypto key, and enable SSH on the vty lines of the router.  Below shows how to do that:

config t
ip domain name icnd1testlab.com
line vty 0 4
transport input telnet ssh
crypto key generate rsa

Once you issue the last command above, it will ask you what size you want your key to be, with the default being 1024. I recommend 2048 instead.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card