Helpful
Replies

Identify CRS Family routers

csco20051988
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

hope you are doing great!

I need your help to identify, when im working with CRS-3 or CRS-1 or CRS -10.

I have no idea how identify them, I was research information but I was nor lucky and in internet it does not have too much information about it.

Thanks for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @csco20051988 ,

CRS-1 is the first generation of CRS and it was presented to us by Cisco in July 2005 with its new network operating system IOS-XR.

in 2012 CRS-3 was already avaialble and some service providers started to replace CRS-1 chassis with CRS-3 devices.

CRS-3 provided more bandwidth per slot.

The current model of this familly is the CRS-X.

have a look at the following link that provides a list of datasheets

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/carrier-routing-system/datasheet-listing.html

Note:

CRS-1 and CRS-3 are so heavy that required special planning of the technical pavement . They are so big that require special purpose chassis or normal chassis but you cannot mount the front and rear doors.

The CRS1-4slot was a bad experience for me.

The CRS system has multiple fabrics linecards and router processors are installed on the front and media specific sub modules are installed on the back.

Look for the fabric linecards if I remember correctly CRS-1 uses FIP-80 and CRS-3 FIP-160 (the numbers here are just an example)

As an alternative ask to a colleague that have an acoount to access the system and to provide you the output of show version and show module (show inventory)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @csco20051988 ,

CRS-1 is the first generation of CRS and it was presented to us by Cisco in July 2005 with its new network operating system IOS-XR.

in 2012 CRS-3 was already avaialble and some service providers started to replace CRS-1 chassis with CRS-3 devices.

CRS-3 provided more bandwidth per slot.

The current model of this familly is the CRS-X.

have a look at the following link that provides a list of datasheets

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/carrier-routing-system/datasheet-listing.html

Note:

CRS-1 and CRS-3 are so heavy that required special planning of the technical pavement . They are so big that require special purpose chassis or normal chassis but you cannot mount the front and rear doors.

The CRS1-4slot was a bad experience for me.

The CRS system has multiple fabrics linecards and router processors are installed on the front and media specific sub modules are installed on the back.

Look for the fabric linecards if I remember correctly CRS-1 uses FIP-80 and CRS-3 FIP-160 (the numbers here are just an example)

As an alternative ask to a colleague that have an acoount to access the system and to provide you the output of show version and show module (show inventory)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card