cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If I need to use DMVPN with BGP on an ISR Series router what licenses

alexchen2217
Level 1
Level 1

I want to buy ISR C1161 router from eaby to run dmvpn & bgp, is it enough to have appxk9 securityk9 ipbasek9 license?
If the used machine is using Smart License, will it affect the future use?

20126356EBmNSuW6Q6.png20126356dOQ1TN9oSP.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @alexchen2217 

The license level is enough but you should worry about this router is coming with EVAL license and will expire in 89 days. After that, if you do not have a valid contract, which you probably not, advacend features may not work and you will not be able to renew it.

The smart licensing is not a problem as long as you have a service contract, if you dont, with or without smar licensing you end up having problems with the device.

If I were to buy a used device, I would look for one with permanente license installed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi @alexchen2217 

The license level is enough but you should worry about this router is coming with EVAL license and will expire in 89 days. After that, if you do not have a valid contract, which you probably not, advacend features may not work and you will not be able to renew it.

The smart licensing is not a problem as long as you have a service contract, if you dont, with or without smar licensing you end up having problems with the device.

If I were to buy a used device, I would look for one with permanente license installed.

thanks your answer,

"if you do not have a valid contract" that's i worried about. so I will search permanente license 

Using eBay to search for this device, I can see that the license has securityk9 & ipbase,

so can this device be used for DMVPM & BGP?

Cisco C1101-4PLTEP ISR 1101 4P GE Ethernet LTE Secure Router Pluggable P-LTEA-EA | eBay

Technology Package License Information:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Technology    Technology-package           Technology-package

Current       Type           Next reboot

------------------------------------------------------------------

appxk9           None             None             None

securityk9       securityk9       Permanent        securityk9

ipbase           ipbasek9         Permanent        ipbasek9

For any dmvpn lab you need at least four routers 

One hub 

Two spokes 

One cloud (ISP)

And I think even by ebay this cost alot 

Instead you can use gns3 free program to run dmvpn lab and other vpn tech. 

MHM

i have use eveng build LAB test is work, so i want buy device to connect to real site.

thanks your answer

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card