Views
Helpful
Replies

IGP and iBGP ?

Arjun Dabol
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

What is the difference between IGP and iBGP ? iBGP is IGP can someone clear this concept?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have known people who did use IBGP as an IGP. While I think this is not usually advisable, it is possible.

It is not required to have a dynamic routing protocol as IGP though it is usually advisable. It is possible to configure static routes to provide the IP connectivity that you usually get from an IGP.

What you need for an IGP depends on the size and complexity of the network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IBGP is a specific routing protocol. It is BGP where both routers belong to the same AS.

IGP stands for Interior Gateway Protocol and is a generic term that refers to Interior routing protocols and would include protocols such as EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, or RIP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks but thats very generic.

Can you plz tell me-  in an AS can we use IBGP as IGP ? Is it always require to use an IGP (OSPF) before we can use IBGP within an AS ? this particular concept is not v clear to me.

I have known people who did use IBGP as an IGP. While I think this is not usually advisable, it is possible.

It is not required to have a dynamic routing protocol as IGP though it is usually advisable. It is possible to configure static routes to provide the IP connectivity that you usually get from an IGP.

What you need for an IGP depends on the size and complexity of the network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card