cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Im BEGGING for assistance

Jeromy Polachak
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to solve this problem all day and i can't seem to trouble shoot why.

Im trying to change my IP address, mask and dg, on my computer with the DNS server information but everytime i do it on the LAN i lose internet connection and when i go back to default settings by letting them choose the IP address, mask and dg, everything works fine.

Right now i have my cable modem thats connected into the wall, is connected to a linksys router(e3000) and a crossover cable connects that router to the computer, then a straight through from the e3000 to my 2950G switch fa0/1 and striaght through on my switch fa0/2 to my 2610xm router with the default gateway set up on that router and that ip address on the fa0/0 interface as 192.168.1.1.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jeromy
5 Replies 5

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Network topology with IP addresses would be very helpful. It hard to undestand.

Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

I think my problem is my set up. Meaning i have only one fa0/0 port in my 2610 which i want to be my default gateway router. I have a cable modem, with an ethernet cable thats coming out of that, and i "think" i need to plug that into a switch, configure that, and then have a straight through cable from that same switch to my fa0/0 port in my 2610xm router and then it will be truly my default gateway, which would then in turn make my IP address "click" in my host computer, because everytime i change my ip address on my computer and default gateway, i lose connectivity. Do you think thats the right cabling structure?

Jeromy

A routers job is to forward packets from one interface to the next. If everything in your network is Ethernet based then the router has nothing to do if it only has one Ethernet interface. Either add another Ethernet interface to the router, or set it aside.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Or you can implement router on a stick. Create a VLAN for router and cable modem, another VLAN for your local subnet. Connect cable modem to the switch put it a correct VLAN and switch interface connected to router configure as a trunk. Then configure subinterfaces on router. To route packets between subnets. And put a default route toward to cable modem on router.

Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

Are you sure you are loosing Internet access?

Perhaps after changing DNS, you are no longer resolving names.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card