Views
Helpful
Replies

Improve the timer of Internet edge to detect the last mile outage

Vinayaka Raman
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

All my internet edges are 3900, 2900 running IOS 15. M or 4300 running IOS XE 16. X 

I wanted to improve the BGP convergence. All WAN interfaces are ethernet.

when the last mile fails, WAN interface continue to stay up and rely on BGP keepalive to tear the session.

In order to improve this, is BFD and  ip sla are the 2 options?

BFD - how do i check if my router hardware\software supports it.. I tried cisco feature navigator and could not figure out.

Regards Vinayak
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

15.4 should support it no problem  , its live since 12.x but ipbase does not support it , you need advanced ip services or data license depending on platform as its an advanced feature

I just checked this ...c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-1.T.bin ... in feature navigator under data license and it shows BFD supported no problems

Screenshots attached

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi if the actual link is failing you could try use bgp fast fallover the minute it drops it will stop bgp

BGP Fast-external-fallover command terminates external BGP sessions of any directly adjacent peer if the link used to reach the peer goes down; without waiting for the hold-down timer to expire.

or reduce the neighbour timers from 60/180

all those routers above should support BFD with correct license and IOS version

Hi ,

the WAN links are ethernet and it never goes down unless mux is turned OFF.

Can you please help me with IOS version and license required for BFD ?

I am using 15.4 M train of OS with ipbase license and bfd does not work.

should i elevate the license and code?

Regards Vinayak

Hi

15.4 should support it no problem  , its live since 12.x but ipbase does not support it , you need advanced ip services or data license depending on platform as its an advanced feature

I just checked this ...c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-1.T.bin ... in feature navigator under data license and it shows BFD supported no problems

Screenshots attached

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card