Views
Helpful
Replies

ingress policy-map with just class-maps only

SJ K
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

I am looking at my MPLS service-provider CE router's configuration.

On the CE router's  wan facing interface (uplink to Service provider's network)  there is an ingress policy-map being applied. 

However, the policy-map has just class-map definition without any further action. 

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
service-policy input policy-in

policy-map policy-in
class ce_ef_input
class ce_af3_input
class class-default

What's the purpose of this ingress policy then ? classify and do nothing ?

Regards,

Noob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jmperlewitz
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any associated class-map configuration?  If not, then this is doing absolutely nothing.  if there is, the only thing they could use it for is for traffic statistics (See how much traffic is hitting each class),

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

They are ”marking” the traffic so they can create a policy on the egress PE router. 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

Hi Troy,

This is the interface that is connected to the PE router but it is an ingress policy / applied inwards.

1) With just the class definitions alone, how are they marking anything ? There isn't any set DSCP or set COS definition

2) the policy is applied inwards, so they are not really marking egress traffic towards the PE.

Regards,
Noob

My apologies I thought it was on the LAN interface for some reason. But If there is no configuration under the class then there is no policy. Sorry for the confusion. 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

Hey Troy, no worries. thanks for your reply!

jmperlewitz
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any associated class-map configuration?  If not, then this is doing absolutely nothing.  if there is, the only thing they could use it for is for traffic statistics (See how much traffic is hitting each class),

Hey jmperlewit,

Yea your right, seems like the only reason it was done was just to get the traffic statistics during show policy-map.

Thank you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card