cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input & CRC Errors (New Cisco 1841 - WIC 1DSU-T1 V2)

smartin
Level 1
Level 1

For the past several months we have been testing a T1/MPLS connection at a remote site using a Cisco 1721 with a T1 DSU/CSU T1 (Model # WIC 1DSU T1). The test results have been great with access speeds & no errors.

This weekend I tried to replace the router with a new Cisco 1841 using a T1 DSU/CSU T1 (Model # WIC 1DSU-T1 V2).

When I installed the router I'm now seeing input & CRC errors (see image 1). I tried three different routers (all 1841 & DSU V2) and getting same results.

I believe this may be clock settings on the DSU (see image 2).

Can anyone help with this problem. Thanks.

23 Replies 23

Scadams, just wondering the results of your test. I'm starting to see errors on the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 cards as well. How is Cisco going to correct this problem. I really don't want to make 50 or so patch cables.

Thanks...

We tried a IOS patch from cisco that helped a little. But am pushing for a hardware fix on these cards.

What patch ? Can anyone download it ??

No one has posted here in a while. Does anyone have an update to what the solution to this problem is? I am experiancing the same problem with a 1721 and a WIC-1DSU-T1-V2. Has anyone verified that using a modified cable with only pinouts for 1,2,4,5 will fix the problem?

Thanks!

Cisco has released an IOS bug fix in 123-8T7, which can help some.. The card has been redisigned and Cisco is shipping us cards to replace the original V2 cards..I believe you need to open a TAC case with cisco in order to get replacement Cards..

I had my customer's 1841 sitting 1/4 of a mile away from where the telco terminated the demarc, which was causing all these errors on the wic. We tested the router at the original demarc with the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 and it worked without any errors.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Category rated UTP (Cat 3,4,5,5e,& 6) are not spec for extended demarcs.

The correct cabling is "Premises Cable," which is a larger guage conductor, where the individual pair are shielded and enclosed in a shielded sheath (individualy shielded pair in a shielded jacket).

UTP is ~100ohm, Prem cable is ~150 ohm.

You can do a search in the catalog at www.anixter.com for "t1 cable" and get a couple pages of hits.

Prem cable is good for 655 feet (by spec). Cat-rated UTP would be doing well to make it the usual 100 meters (~328 feet). That would also assume that the cable spans are terminated correctly (to spec, by someone that *really* knows what they're doing).

Cat-rated cable is OK for shorter (relatively noise-free) runs ... and most manufacturers stuff can tolerate UTP ... but if things appear flaky, you gotta go with Prem cable.

FWIW

Scott

Cisco has stepped up and re-engineered their WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 wic card and suggested a new patched IOS as well for the 2800 series routers. Not sure about the 1700 series. Pls contact your Cisco representative for more details.

"The special cable pin out is as followed

Pin 1 <--- twisted pair A ----> Pin 1

Pin 2 <--- twisted pair A ----> Pin 2

Pin 4 <--- twisted pair B -----> Pin 4

Pin 5 <--- twisted pair B ----> Pin 5"

Has anyone been able to get this special cable to resolve their issues? I tried it and I actually saw more errors on the line afterwards. I am wondering if the theory turned out not to be accurate after it was tested. I never saw any results from the test.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card