Views
Helpful
Replies

Input overrun errors in 2901 router

shlomiohana101
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings. (Sorry for my english)

A few days ago I purchased from eBay a used 2901 router.

The router came with only two built-in connections (g0 / 0 g0 / 1) with no ehwic extensions.

I connected the router to a home router that provides a 1gbps fiber connection.

I reset the 2901 and made all the settings (ip addresses, nat, etc.).

Ping tests, web browsing, ssh, no problems, but i noticed the problem when I did a Speed Test: instead of getting 1gbps, I get around 300mbps from the 2901, when in a direct connection to my home router I get always 1gbps without any problems.

When I examined the issue a little more in depth, I noticed that I get a lot of input overrun errors in the two built-in connections of the router (g0 / 0 and g0 / 1).

I tried to switch cables, switch between interfaces, perform a software update to the router, connect to it directly, and for some reason I always get input overrun errors.

I wanted to ask, is this a malfunction of the interfaces? (i.e. buying ehwic will solve the problem) or is the problem in the main board? Please See the screen recording that describing the problem.

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello ,

what you get is normal for a C2901 even if it has two buiilt in GE interfaces it has never been meant to be able to work at line rate full 1 Gbps.

overrun error means that packets are arriving on the interface at a speed greater then interface capabilities so these packets are dropped.

There is nothing you can do about it.

It is normal and it is not a sign of an hardware problem just a sign of a performance limit.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2900 router is not designed to support >100 Mbps.  

Input Overruns happen when the router is unable to process the inbound traffic and drops the packets.

Either get a bigger router or downgrade the WAN link.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello ,

what you get is normal for a C2901 even if it has two buiilt in GE interfaces it has never been meant to be able to work at line rate full 1 Gbps.

overrun error means that packets are arriving on the interface at a speed greater then interface capabilities so these packets are dropped.

There is nothing you can do about it.

It is normal and it is not a sign of an hardware problem just a sign of a performance limit.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. You helped me a lot, and as a beginner I learned a very important lesson about router performance. (Very important for the next purchase)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2900 router is not designed to support >100 Mbps.  

Input Overruns happen when the router is unable to process the inbound traffic and drops the packets.

Either get a bigger router or downgrade the WAN link.

Kevin Kilgore
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know of any routers that route at line speed. However a layer 3 switch will.

Kevin there are routers that can route at line speed and also some L3 switches that cannot.

The usual situation is often "smaller" routers have a port that exceeds the performance capacity of the router while many switches can support line speed on at least some of their ports although, sometimes, not on all ports concurrently.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card