Views
Helpful
Replies

Install VWIC2 card into Cisco 3825 router

hamidul.islam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a cisco 3825 router with OS version 12.4 and one VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 card at Slot 0.

Now I have to add one more card of the same type in the router.

I need to know the steps or process to add the the 2nd card in the router.

Tthanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Have a look at this link for interface/port numbers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps282/products_tech_note09186a008035b051.shtml

2. I will not be connecting the new T1 line to the new interface card for now so if I issue the "no shut" commnad for T1 0/0/1, will it cause any issue?

No, "no sh" will not do anything since there is no physical connectivity

Reza

View solution in original post

Hi,

You have to issue "card type" command to tell the router what type of card you want to use. Why? This card can support T1 and E1. T1 and E1 are different. Configurations depend on what type of card/media(bought from media provider) you are using.

HTH,

Toshi

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The cards for the 3800 series routers are not hot swapable.  So turn off the router, add the second card, then turn the router back on.

You should see the second card if the card is working fine.

Good Luck

Reza

Hi Reza,

In my router configuration I can see,

card type t1 0 0 [ Is it because a card is installed at slot 0?]

1. And as you said after i install the second card at slot 1 will I see " card type t1 0 1" in the router configuration or i have to add  "card type t1 0 1" in the global configuration mode.

Also one more thing, in the router configuration i can see the followings:

controller T1 0/0/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
!

controller T1 0/0/1
shutdown
framing esf
linecode b8zs
cablelength short 133
!

2. After the 2nd card is installed and up, Do I need to do below steps to activate the T1 0/0/1 interface? 

controller T1 0/0/1
no shut

framing esf
linecode b8zs
!

Thanks for your help.

You don't have to do anything.  If the card is fine, the router will detect the card and the interface will apear in the right format.

no shut

framing esf

linecode b8zs

Yes, you need to add the above config to the interface to make it look like the other interfaces you already have.

Reza

Reza,

Thanks for the information.

1. What does the 2nd 0 and last 1 means for Controller T1 0/0/1?

2. I will not be connecting the new T1 line to the new interface card for now so if I issue the "no shut" commnad for T1 0/0/1, will it cause any issue?

Thanks

Have a look at this link for interface/port numbers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps282/products_tech_note09186a008035b051.shtml

No, "no sh" will not do anything since there is no physical connectivity

Reza

Hi,

You need to add "card type" command. It supports T1 and E1. If you want to do the same things (T1 data) , it should be "card type t1 0 1".  You can do the rest by following the existing configurations. Just configure "controller" and then go to "serail interface".

Edit:  As per your question,

1. 0/0/1 is slot0/subslot0/port1

2. You are going to configure Layer1 (controller command). You will be fine with "no shut" command. However, what do you want to do for T1 0/0/1?

HTH,

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

I was discussing with Mr. Reza regarding this issue and he said that i do not need to give "Card type " command to the router and the new card type information will automatically apear. I am now confused what to do.

Can you please let me know what does the "Card type" command does?

We will be adding 2 T1's for the router. One T1 is already active and the next T1 will be added after the interface card is added to the router.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi,

Like I mentioned,you need to tell the router that you want to use either T1 or E1. In your case if you want to do the same things(T1-DATA) , it should be "card type t1 0 1" and then you can configure "controller T1 0/1/0" and "controller T1 0/1/1". 

HTH,

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

What is the default inteface type after a new interface card is installed to the router? [Is it card type T1 or card type E1]

I am still not clear on the "card type" command.

The 2nd card will be also for T1 and I have understood the "Controller" configurations.

Do I have to explicitly issue the following command after adding the card to the router to identify the T1 or E1 types or the interface and its type will automatically appear if not issuing the following command?

card type t1 0 1

Thanks for your answers.

Regards

Hi,

You have to issue "card type" command to tell the router what type of card you want to use. Why? This card can support T1 and E1. T1 and E1 are different. Configurations depend on what type of card/media(bought from media provider) you are using.

HTH,

Toshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: