Replies

interface still marked as "up" even cable unpluged

b1723651
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

first, my senario is:

f0/1(dialer 0)<----RJ 45----->ADSL Modem<------>ISP

but even I unpluged the RJ 45 cable, the dial 0 still marked as up (interface and protocol), the f0/1 was marked as line up and protocol down.

pls tell me how to let the router know those interface was down already. thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As far as I know, a Dialer interface is always up and does not depend on the state of underlying physical interfaces. That was necessary for the operation of Dialer interface over dialed circuits (if a Dialer interface was down, it could not be present in the routing table, thus no packets could be routed through it, thus no dialup would work because no interesting traffic could be sent through it).

Do you need your interface to actually go down for any reason?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As far as I know, a Dialer interface is always up and does not depend on the state of underlying physical interfaces. That was necessary for the operation of Dialer interface over dialed circuits (if a Dialer interface was down, it could not be present in the routing table, thus no packets could be routed through it, thus no dialup would work because no interesting traffic could be sent through it).

Do you need your interface to actually go down for any reason?

Best regards,

Peter

thanks,

I'm testing 3G interface as a backup line and ADSL as primary line. I have similar config work before (fix ip line & 3G).

but not work with ADSL, so I think it might be related with interface status?

I got your idea, thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card