cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet connection load balancing

synthpopboy21
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a Cisco 7613 router with an OC-12 running into it. It's a Packet Over SONET frame relay connection to our ISP who handles the BGP on their end.

We are upgrading to an OC-48 as well as adding an OC-48 card to the router and would like to keep the OC-12 and it's existing card as well for redundancy . I'm new to high end networking and need a nudge in the right direction. What types of protocols/configuration options (or even hardware)should I be looking at to allow me to use the OC-48 as my primary connection and send any overflow through the OC-12. Also in the event the OC-48 were to go offline the OC-12 would take over as the primary and handle as much traffic as possible. As a secondary "nice to have" I would like to be able to route traffic from one of our class C networks out to the internet out just through the OC-12.

1 Reply 1

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

Assuming that the routing protocol to your ISP is BGP, i dont think it is possible for you to jump from one link to another in case the first line is choking. There are load balancers like F5 but dont think they support BGP. It is possible to configure the OC-12 as secondary You will have to advertise the prefixes over the 2ndary BGP with an AS-Path Prepend. Use the same logic for the Class C over the OC-12.

Hope i understood ur requirement

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card