Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid input detected after IOS upgrade in console only

MatthiasN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am preparing a couple of remote IOS upgrades and ran a test on a lab device.

During the first boot of my lab device it showed an "% invalid input detected" on the console - so far nothing special, I guess some syntax has changed.

My problem is that this error is not showing up in the log so how would I be able to get this info after a remote upgrade without having console access ?

I am not concerned about the error shown itself - just about how this could be represented in the log file.

Thanks for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a couple of thoughts about how to respond to your post:

- this demonstrates why it is a good idea to test code upgrades in the lab before you do them on live equipment.

- depending how how closely your lab equipment reflects equipment in the field, and how closely the config of your lab equipment reflects configuration in the field you might (or might not) identify the impact of changes in the new code.

- at least your output identifies the command involved. So you should be able to find that command in the original/startup config and then to look at that section of config after the upgrade and identify differences. And based on that evaluate the impact of the code upgrade. 

You asked a direct question and I believe that this is the answer to that question:

Q -  how would I be able to get this info after a remote upgrade without having console access

A - if the upgrade is remote and you do not have console access then you will not be able to get that info.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

pigallo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @MatthiasN ,

Well, it's difficult to have such message in the logs because actually it's not a log. That message is just a parser error output for an incorrect command typed on the CLI. No need to worry about including it as log itself as it even doesn't carry a severity with it.

If you need to collect any possible input typed on the CLI you should organize an applet that does this job for you. Many scripting languages can handle it.

regards.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a couple of thoughts about how to respond to your post:

- this demonstrates why it is a good idea to test code upgrades in the lab before you do them on live equipment.

- depending how how closely your lab equipment reflects equipment in the field, and how closely the config of your lab equipment reflects configuration in the field you might (or might not) identify the impact of changes in the new code.

- at least your output identifies the command involved. So you should be able to find that command in the original/startup config and then to look at that section of config after the upgrade and identify differences. And based on that evaluate the impact of the code upgrade. 

You asked a direct question and I believe that this is the answer to that question:

Q -  how would I be able to get this info after a remote upgrade without having console access

A - if the upgrade is remote and you do not have console access then you will not be able to get that info.

HTH

Rick

pigallo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @MatthiasN ,

Well, it's difficult to have such message in the logs because actually it's not a log. That message is just a parser error output for an incorrect command typed on the CLI. No need to worry about including it as log itself as it even doesn't carry a severity with it.

If you need to collect any possible input typed on the CLI you should organize an applet that does this job for you. Many scripting languages can handle it.

regards.

MatthiasN
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you @Richard Burts  and @pigallo much appreciated your answers.

Best

Matthias

Matthias

I am glad that our explanations have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card