Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS 6500

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Dears,

I m comfuse of Cisco concepts please help me to understand.

I have a cisco 6500 with SXH5 release and the latest on cisco website is SXH8 I want to upgrade what i should upgrade to SXH8 or i should upgrade to SXI5 the latest in SXI There are four four major release SXI,SXH,SXF,SXD. what is the difference between each of them,

If suppose i move from SXH to SXI then is it will be compatible with 6500E hardware and why cisco has done these differences???

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The main difference between SXH and SXI is that the SXI train supports VSS where as SXH does not. Either train will work on your 6500.

Hello Collin,

I m having a IOS SXH5 without any need my client ask me to upgrade the switch to latest release,How one will know to upgrade to SXH8 OR upgrade to SXI,

Thanks

Upgrade to SXI4a or later.  Sooner or later someone's going to make a decision to implement VSS.

Satya Narra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The best way to go about comparing features is using the Cisco feature navigator located here.

Awesome tool!!

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

SX is the train name.

Difference between SXH and SXI or SX(any letter) are major functions and capabilities. For example SXI adds Mini Protocol Analyzer (something like Wireshark, but right from the command line of the IOS).

The trailing number, like SXH7 and SXH8 signifies revision. Sometimes there are functions, but most importantly there are bug fixes. Generally, the higher the number, the more bugs have been fixed.

So SXI has more functions than SXH. But SXH7 may have same number of functions as SXH8. SXH8 is more stable than SXH7.

Hello Dears,

Please find the attached and can anybody explain me what is the difference between them.

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES

ADV ENTERPRISE SERVICES (MODULAR)

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES SSH

ADVANCED ENT SERVICES SSH (MODULAR)

ADVANCED IP SERVICES SSH

ADVANCED IP SERVICES SSH (MODULAR)

IP SERVICES

IP SERVICES (MODULAR)

IP SERVICES SSH LAN ONLY

IP SERVICES SSH LAN ONLY (MODULAR)

IP SERVICES SSH

IP SERVICES SSH - DEFAULT