cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS image issue

sammy_davis
Level 1
Level 1

I loaded the image c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin into a C-2960S-48TS switch.   I deleted the old image and now when I boot the switch it goes to this point and stops:

It de-compresses the image and then goes to installing and it hangs up there.   The last display is:

File "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000

executing...

So I figured it didn't like this image.   So I tried to go into rommon mode.   To get to rommon I have to break the bootup process and get to the switch:  prompt.   From there I need to run flash_init and load.     flash_init never finishes it looks like this:

switch: flash_init

Initializing Flash...

mifs[2]: 10 files, 1 directories

mifs[2]: Total bytes     :    1806336

mifs[2]: Bytes used      :     612352

mifs[2]: Bytes available :    1193984

mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.

mifs[3]: 0 files, 1 directories

mifs[3]: Total bytes     :    3870720

mifs[3]: Bytes used      :       1024

mifs[3]: Bytes available :    3869696

mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 2 seconds.

mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories

mifs[4]: Total bytes     :     258048

mifs[4]: Bytes used      :       9216

mifs[4]: Bytes available :     248832

mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.

mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories

mifs[5]: Total bytes     :     258048

mifs[5]: Bytes used      :       9216

mifs[5]: Bytes available :     248832

mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.

-- MORE --

So I'm stuck.    How can I get into the flash to delete this new image or get into rommon so that I can load a new image in?   Or has my switch now been relegated to the status of a brick?

10 Replies 10

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Samuel,

Try to boot from rommon with command >boot

Maybe you will have to include path to IOS image >boot ?

If it will not work you will have to load a new IOS to switch ->

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/156627

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Thank you for your response.   But perhaps my initial post was not clear enough.   The actual problem I'm having is that I  cannot get into the rommon mode.   I have to break the boot sequence and then run the flash_init and load helper commands and the flash_init command is hanging up.   I'm trying to find out if anyone knows why this might be happening or if there is a workaround that I can implement so I can get to the rommon mode.  

Hi

You can recover you IOS using xmodem please see this Document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Jawad

Jawad,

When you're dealing with routers and switches with USB ports, xmodem is "old school".

It'll take, at best, 40 minutes to push a valid IOS into the switch via xmodem.

It'll take me 10 minutes (if I don't have a supported USB stick ready), to boot the switch from USB. 

I Agree but there can be a case if u dont have any usb flash available.

Jawad

Yes,  I know how to use xmodem or boot from the USB as has been suggested.  But the problem is getting to rommon which is where I need to be to run either of those processes.     From what I described is happening during the flash_init command does this mean I am now unable to get to the rommon mode and has my switch become basically a brick?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I loaded the image c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin into a C-2960S-48TS switch.

Ummmm ... It won't work.  You've loaded an IOS for a plain 2960 into a 2960S.

If you have a supported USB, you can copy the correct BIN file into the USB and get the 2960S to boot from USB.  The command (from ROMmon) is:  boot usbflash0:IOS.BIN

Thank you for looking at my question.   Again,  I am unable to get to rommon mode.    When I try to run the flash_init command it hangs up and never finishes.   So I never get to the load_helper command and thus never get to the ROMmon mode.

Ok, so yu can't enter anything via the keyboard.  Sounds like you have a client issue or an application issue.

Have you tried using different computers/laptop?

If you are using them USB-to-Serial cables, this could also potentially be an issue.

I am able to enter things via the keyboard but the flash_init command does not finish.   It looks like this: 

switch: flash_init

Initializing Flash...

mifs[2]: 10 files, 1 directories

mifs[2]: Total bytes : 1806336

mifs[2]: Bytes used : 612352

mifs[2]: Bytes available : 1193984

mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.

mifs[3]: 0 files, 1 directories

mifs[3]: Total bytes : 3870720

mifs[3]: Bytes used : 1024

mifs[3]: Bytes available : 3869696

mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 2 seconds.

mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories

mifs[4]: Total bytes : 258048

mifs[4]: Bytes used : 9216

mifs[4]: Bytes available : 248832

mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.

mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories

mifs[5]: Total bytes : 258048

mifs[5]: Bytes used : 9216

mifs[5]: Bytes available : 248832

mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.

-- MORE --

I'm basically trying to determine if I'm screwed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card