Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Limit Bandwidth per IP

ez9
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a subnet e.g 10.0.2.0/24 and a circuit with 50mbps speed. I want to assign to each host(IP) 5mbps of total speed. e.g 10.0.2.50 max bandwidth=5mbps, 10.0.2.51 max bandwidth=5mbps etc. How is it possible to implement this scenario?

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Device and IOS version?

For ingress, egress or both?

Hello, 

Thanks for the reply. My device is 7204 with 15.2 IOS and i want ingress and egress.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ok, on that device and IOS you should be able to define a CBWFQ policy map, one that maps one host per class.  I forget the limit on number of classes, but it should be, I believe around 256 (or possibly even more).  If so, it should be just enough to handle the number of hosts in a single /24.

For ingress or egress, you can police.  For egress, you can also shape.

Thanks for the reply,

Is there any more 'elegant' solution? for example if i had 4096 host should i create 4096 classes?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Not that I'm aware of on a 7200.

I don't recall what the max class limit is on the later IOS versions.  It might only be about 256.

The only Cisco device, that I'm aware that can do the per user policing, elegantly, would be a 6500 using a Microflow policer, treating all traffic with the same IP as a single flow.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card