Views
Helpful
Replies

IOT SIM and Public ip for internal host

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Support,

i intend to purchase a cisco ehwic 3g hspa +7 interface card for back up internet connection. This card does not have a lan port. The 3G provider has agreed to assign a public ip to this sim. How do i make a host sitting behind the router to get a public ip address from this 3G sim.

I have read some article where some routers such as draytex 2862ln router using a routing subnet feature. I want to know if cisco 2911 router has some features that can support that

collins

8 Replies 8

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,

You want to assign an extra public IP given by your ISP over 3G connection to a host?
Why not going with the easy solution meaning having a nat 1:1 from your router to your internal host.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello Franceso,

The 3G sim isp has assigned only one public ip address to the sim. There is no extra public ip. However,the isp said if i needed more than one ip address,i should order two sims.

I was thinking  that the ip address for NAT should be exlcuded from the nat pool.There is no nat pool in this case.i dont know if the following will work

1. Ip nat inside source list private-lan interface cellular 0

2. ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 2.2.2.2

2.2.2.2 is the sim ip which is the interface cellular 0.wont there be any issue since i am using the same 2.2.2.2 for nat 1:1

Yes it would be better to do port forwarding and not a 1:1 static nat.

I thought you had only 1 host using this 3G connection.

Do you really need to have a 1:1 nat? Or do you only need to expose few services?
What's your real goal you want to achieve?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello Francesco,My goal is this: i have cisco expressway c and e deployed that allow Mobile and remote access users to communicate with the lan users. The expressway edge has two lan interfaces. Lan1 has a private ip address while lan 2 is to have a public ip or to use a private ip which is mapped to a public ip using static nat. There is an option for you to enable static nat and enter the public ip.

I am kind of confused since the 3G sim has only one public ip address. If i put the 3G sim public ip,i dont know if it is going to work since 3G sim will be inserted in a cisco 3G EHWIC card

If you need to do a full nat 1:1 between your 3G sim and expressway-e, you can't as you're using this same sim for dynamic pat for outside internet access. If you can give internet access over another link like dsl then you can reserve the 3G sim for your expressway-e

Thanks
Francesco

Sorry for belated response.i was hoping to recieve a notification via my email. I will try the option and get back to you

anderson422
Level 1
Level 1

well it's not possible to make subnet mask inside subnet in cisco routers, you have to buy some othe vendor router in order to do that.

Can you give me an example of the vendor router?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card