Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Route problem - please help

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

We have this VPN concentrator with a private IP address of 10.1.19 which has a peer with a public IP address 159.x.x.0 255.255.255.0 to get to a web page (a secure page). If we add an static route to any host (computer) at our location it gets there, the IP route Add x.x.x.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.9 at the DOS Command prompt let the hosts to get to the web site. I wanted to add an IP Route statement to our router where its FastEthernet 0/1 IP address is the default gateway for the hosts to eliminate the need to adding that statement at the command prompt of the hosts but any combination of the ip route on the router couldn't do it or at least any combinations that I tried.

Is there any way to do this? Please help.

Thx,

Masood

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

What is the complete IP address? It cannot be 10.1.19, because that is not valid - it needs 4 bytes. Although there are some systems that would accept it and not tell you that it is an error.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin's point about 10.1.19 not being a valid address is well taken.

Beyond that I would think that something like this should work:

ip route x.x.x.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.9

where obviously you need to fix the x.x.x and the rest of the next hop address.

You comment in the original post that you have tried to do something that did not work. Perhaps you can be specific about what you tried and perhaps we can figure out why it did not work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card