In my Router I have a

config t

line vty 0 4

Login

password

line vty 5 15

Priveledge 15

password

can any one please tell me what is the use if line vty 5 15 ?????

why it is used and if I remove it what will happen??

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most of us are used to routers having 5 vty ports (vty 0 4). In recent versions of IOS the number of default vty ports has increased (it may be a feature set related thing) to 16 (vty 5 15 are the additional ports). The additional vty ports act just like the original vty. I think that you can not remove them. My advice would be to configure them just like vty 0 4. If you do not want them used for some reason then you can configure:

vty 5 15

no exec

and this will make them unusable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

arun.kumar3
Level 1
Level 1

The router comes with 5 virtual terminal by default. You can create addition virtual terminals if required. These are the additonal virutal terminals that has been created in your router for the purpose which was known only by the system administrator who has done it or if you have design doc which explains about it. For addtional information please refer

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080081096.html

If it has been created for any other purpose like remote dial-in, x.25 etc those services will fail if you try to remove it. If you are sure that these terminal services does serve any purpose in your router, there is no harm in removing it. You router will still coninue to work.

Regards

Arun

Actually for some versions of IOS (and perhaps some feature sets) the default number of vty ports is not 5 but is 16. I have this on a number of routers at a customer site.

The traditional default was 5. The new default is 16. I assume that the reason for this is to accomodate increased functions on routers at critical points in the network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card