cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip route with track only for PPPoE and IpsecTunnel ??

CSCO10235163
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand if IOS permits to make a static route dependant on the availability of an enternal Ip.

I have a CE A that is GW for the internal networks and that, in normal condition, must redirect traffic to a CE B belonging to a different SP B but, when the other SP B is faulty, CE A needs to forward traffic according to dynamic update received from PE A.

My idea was of configuring a static route with tracking of a critical Ip in SP B, so that when tracking is down, static route is deleted, similarly to what described in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808d2b72.shtml

but as I read in this other document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html , it seems command 'ip route' together with 'track' being available only for PPPoE or IpSecTunnel... is it true??

.. The Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object  Tracking feature introduces the ability for the Cisco IOS software to  use Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) pings to identify when a  Point-to-Point over Ethernet (PPPoE) or IP Security Protocol (IPSec)  Virtual Private Network (VPN) tunnel goes down, allowing the initiation  of a backup connection from any alternative port...

Thanks a lot

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Object tracking can be used with ip communications regardless what is the underpaying L2 link or tunneled or not

As long as it can dose the job for example if u r watching a route in ur routing table this something related to the routing table dose matter u learned the route through a tunnel interface or physical one

U could lab if want to confirm

Good luck

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for your answer, but I don't know if you well understood what I'm trying to do: I want to monitor an external Ip reachability, not a route inside routing table. Something like:

ip sla 1
icmp-echo external_IP source-interface FastEthernet0
timeout 1000
threshold 40
frequency 3

track 123 rtr 1 reachability
delay down 15 up 10

ip route NetA MaskNetA FastEthernet0 track 123

so that when external Ip isn't reachable anymore, static route is deleted.

I know that testing is the best way to realize if it works, but I'm looking for others' experience because I have no way to test it.

Thanks again

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I did understand what u want

And what I mentioned was only example

U can do icmp reachability check too

Only make sure u r using the right source interface as u have tunneling in ur case

Good luck

If helpful rate

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card