cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip route xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.255 10.x.x.x name vdi-traffic track 10

Khundmir4cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I came across one static route command in the configs and could not able to understand the significant of using the track command at the end of static route command.

Also, when I check #show track I get this output

abcd-xyz#show track brief

Track Type        Instance                   Parameter      State Last Change

10        ip sla      100                        reachability     Up    14:56:26

Are these both related? 

2 Replies 2

Hello,

the IP SLA and the route tracking are indeed related. Your config should look something like this:

track 10 ip sla 100 reachability

!

ip sla 100

icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0

frequency 3

!

ip sla schedule 100 start-time now life forever

!

ip route xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.255 10.x.x.x name vdi-traffic track 10

ip route xx.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.255 10.x.x.x name vdi-traffic 100

This means when the IP SLA is down, the primary route is tracked and removed from the routing table, and the secondary route with the higher administrative distance is installed.

Hello
The example you show is IPLSA tracking
However tracking is not just used with IPSLA,, In fact it doesn’t have to use IPSLA whatsoever, It can be used against metric changes in the route table of a specific route prefix(s) or reachability of an ip route(s) or interface(s), it quite a versatile feature

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card