cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Routing

NoobMaster1337
Level 1
Level 1

I've revisited Static IP routing and I'm absolutely clueless again so any advice would be appreciated, how would I ip route the network below? Or have I not designed the network correctly?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Sorry I hadn't realised the photo hadn't inserted

capture1.PNG

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we did not see any information here, can you provide what information or suggestion required.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the heads up, I've just updated it.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simple rule, if using static routes, a router (or L3 switch) needs to "know" where to send packets next for all desired networks that are not directly connected to that router (or L3 switch).

For example, in your diagram, R3 has connections to networks 50.0.1.x and 50.0.0.x but for it to send packets to 50.0.2.x, 50.0.3.x or 50.0.4.x, you need to provide it that information (using static route statement[s]).

All 3 of the latter networks, from R3 should be sent to 50.0.0.193 as their "next hop".

Where routing might become confusing, when first learning it, there are several ways to "cover" those networks with static route statements.  You might specify a static route statement for each remote network, or aggregate them into a network prefix, or prefixes, that covers them.  (If you need help with doing either, let us know.)

Thank you for your answer! I tried the command "ip route 50.0.1.64 255.255.255.0 50.0.0.193" however it states "

Inconsistent address and mask" how would I fix this problem? 

This is a simple issue and easy to fix. First look at the mask used in the statement 255.255.255.0. This indicates that any value in the fourth octet is ok. But in the route statement you used 50.0.1.64. The inconsistency is that you have used a specific value where the mask says all values (not a specific value). To solve the issue either change the address so that the fourth octet is not specific or change the mask to have specific values. The easy solution would be ip route 50.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 50.0.0.193

HTH

Rick

Hi this was very useful thank you! The PC's can successfully ping all the way to the right (50.0.3.66) but can't ping any further. The PC's on the right can't ping any further than 50.0.3.66.

Thank you again for your patience !

As already mentioned static routing is hop by hop and you need to remember that routing is two way so just because there are routes one way does not mean there are routes in place for the return traffic. 

As an example to help you troubleshoot, if the PCs on the right can only ping up to 50.0.3.66 then go to the next router 50.0.3.65 and look for a route that will tell it how to send traffic to the 50.0.4.x PC subnet. 

There probably won't be one so you need to add it and then you try pinging again and just keep repeating the process ie. each time it fails go to where it has failed and check the routing table. 

Jon

Hello

Can you post your PT file if applicable?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I've attached the file to this reply in a .zip

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card