cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec tunnel not coming up for 5505 ver9.0

UMZaman3
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a simple ipsec tunnel config in a lab at home and cannot get the IPSec tunnel to come up between the two ASA's. Any help would be greatly appreciated

ASA2# sh crypto isakmp sa

There are no IKEv1 SAs

There are no IKEv2 SAs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So this entire set up was flawed from the start as I just completely did not think about routing in this lab. I got it to work but what I did was I put a 1841 in between the 2 ASA's to act as the internet. Then did the layer 2 tunnel between the 2 ASA's and was able to get it to work. My apologies for posting this as I am just diving into the CCNA security and trying to understand how vpn tunnels work. I was assuming that the ASA's (since they were directly connected together) would be able to talk to each other even though they were on different subnets. But I realized my mistake yesterday when I drew it out and worked on it and was able to get the tunnel up

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the configs look good. The only thing that might be missing could be:

crypto map outside_map 20 set pfs

Can you try and add that to both configs ?

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi there!

As you try to pass traffic from one side of the tunnel to the other, can you run an debug crypto ikev1 on both sides, and share the output? 

Are the ASAs directly connected? Can you also paste a show route ?

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

So this entire set up was flawed from the start as I just completely did not think about routing in this lab. I got it to work but what I did was I put a 1841 in between the 2 ASA's to act as the internet. Then did the layer 2 tunnel between the 2 ASA's and was able to get it to work. My apologies for posting this as I am just diving into the CCNA security and trying to understand how vpn tunnels work. I was assuming that the ASA's (since they were directly connected together) would be able to talk to each other even though they were on different subnets. But I realized my mistake yesterday when I drew it out and worked on it and was able to get the tunnel up

Glad that you figured it out.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card