Views
Helpful
Replies

IR809 Cellular Dual-SIM LTE Failover not working

JoshG255
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure an IR809 router (single modem, dual sim) to have automatic sim failover, but I am having a lot of difficulties.
Two sims from two different carriers have been used. Both sims have been demonstrated to work with their configured profiles on the device in question. 

In case it is relevant, this network will be using Phase 3 DMVPN across a network of hundreds of IR809s that need to have automatic LTE failover.

Goal:
SIM 1 is primary. SIM 2 is backup. Manually switch from SIM 1 to SIM 2 and back without reloading the router (router cannot go offline).

Bonus Goal:
When SIM 1 loses connectivity, automatically failover to SIM 2.
After a specified amount of time automatically fallback to SIM 1.

I have tried:

The problem I'm running into is:
Whenever the modem

resets/reloads/power-cycles

it does not change to the other SIM, and it also disconnects the existing working LTE connection, producing the below error every 10 seconds until I reload the whole router.

%CELLWAN-5-SIM_FAILOVER_TIMEOUT: [Cellular0]: SIM slot 1 Failover Timer timeout !!

The only way I have been able to consistently bring a cellular profile up is by reloading the router

The relevant config is in the file attached. 
Please advise if additional information, config, or logs are needed.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/lte-wireless-wan-interfaces/200455-Configuration-of-Dual-SIM-Feature-and-SI.html#anc6

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

JoshG255
Level 1
Level 1

I have been able to consistently get an IR809 to failover between SIMs with different carriers.

The steps I took to get LTE failover working consistently (that have not worked on previous days):

• Copy and pasting the commands from the EEM script previously mentioned into the IR809 CLI
    NOTE - this did not work by manually typing in the commands, presumably because of timing
  • Wait (approximately 15 minutes) for the modem to restart itself 3 times before it comes up on the new SIM.

I agree upgrading to the latest firmware is a good first step to take, but the requirements of the client are very limiting.

Thanks for your help Marce!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/lte-wireless-wan-interfaces/200455-Configuration-of-Dual-SIM-Feature-and-SI.html#anc6

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi M,

Thanks for your response!
The link you shared is actually referenced as not working in my initial post.

Do you have any ideas as to why?

- Depends , does it work when you try the script manually ?

M.

No it doesn't appear to.
With chat and modem debugs and logging console enabled, it seems to switch to the sim requested by the

activate

command, but then fail straight back over without allowing time for the modem to come fully online. Then when the modem finally does come back online with the original sim, the original sim profile never comes active and the below syslog message occurs every 10 seconds until the router is reloaded.

%CELLWAN-5-SIM_FAILOVER_TIMEOUT: [Cellular0]: SIM slot 1 Failover Timer timeout !!

- Use latest software version (if feasible and applicable)https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286287094/type/280805680/release/15.9.3M5

M.

Unfortunately we are not able to upgrade the firmware

due to the requirements of the existing network, but I haven't been able to find any related bugs regardless. This seems to be an issue with configuration, as both SIMs work on an individual level. It is simply the

failover process/commands

that don't work.

>...we are not able to upgrade the firmware due to the requirements of the existing network, but I haven't been able to...

- Still I consider that a show-stopper for resolving this problem  and or improving the situation.

M.

JoshG255
Level 1
Level 1

I have been able to consistently get an IR809 to failover between SIMs with different carriers.

The steps I took to get LTE failover working consistently (that have not worked on previous days):

• Copy and pasting the commands from the EEM script previously mentioned into the IR809 CLI
    NOTE - this did not work by manually typing in the commands, presumably because of timing
  • Wait (approximately 15 minutes) for the modem to restart itself 3 times before it comes up on the new SIM.

I agree upgrading to the latest firmware is a good first step to take, but the requirements of the client are very limiting.

Thanks for your help Marce!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card