cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Etherchannel over L2TP (including vlan tagged) supported for 3750 switches?

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

I'm not having much luck with the Feature Navigator.

Does anyone know if Etherchannel over L2TP for trunks is supported for catalyst 3750 switches? Whether point-to-point or point-to-multipoint. 

Do you have access to any documentation showing how to set it up?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

L2TPv3 is a point to point technology - so that removes the multi-point option.  Because 3750's don't do L2TPv3 I presume something else is providing this for you.

Etherchannel does work over L2TPv3 links.  If you have two links of the same size I would recommend you use LACP with the fast rate feature in particular.  This gives you particularly fast failover.

You need quite recent Cisco 3750 software to support LACP with fast rate.  Search for "rate fast".

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15-2_4_e/releasenotes/rn-1524e-3750x3560x.html

Thanks Phillip,

So if I want to configure an Etherchannel over an L2 Tunnel between two cisco switches, a pair of 3750G switches won't cut it.

I'd need 3750X, 3850, 9300 etc., is this correct?

Hmm, I forgot about the older 3750G's.  I'm not so confident with them.

You could dual connect them without Etherchannel and use rapid spanning tree to hold one link down.

I'm looking for a load balanced solution. I'll look over some other options.

Thanks for your input, it's been helpful :)

Do you have multiple VLANs?  You can tell spanning tree to put some on one line and some of the other.

I could split the trunk but I'm looking to load balanced the VLANs across all L2 connections.

By the way, any idea if Etherchannel over L2TPv3 for the new Cat 9300's is a Network Essentials or Network Advantage feature?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card