Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN backup line not Fire automatically

mukeshchouhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In current step,I am using ISDN line as a backup line between two offices.

I can easily fire ISDN between two location manually but whenever i set ISDn as a backup interface in Serial Interface then its not fire...

Its show on Bri Interface:

bri1/0 interface disabled line protocol down...

Pls help me ................

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Mukesh

Have you tried checking the isdn status using show isdn status command ?

Also can you paste the configuration which you have done in your router.

regds

Hi Pls find Router Config...

I have already tried all ISDN Related Command.....

Mukesh

Thank you for posting the configuration file. I have looked at it and see that in this configuration file all the BRI interfaces are shut down. Obviously in a shutdown state the BRI will not work.

While your original post seems to describe configuring backup interface to use the ISDN I do not find any backup interface configured in this configuration file. Can you clarify the situation?

One note that may help: if you do configure backup interface and point it at the BRI then it puts the BRI into a special state and in that state the BRI can not make a call and can not answer a call unless the primary interface is in a protocol down state and is not shut down (it requires a real failure of the interface).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Pls find updated Router config and bri interface status when i set bri as backup interface for serial interface...

Its show ISDN Status Standby/disable......

Pls help me solve this ............

Mukesh

Thank you for posting the additional information. I find that the BRI interface file which shows the configuration steps and the steps to test are especially helpful.

As I pointed out in my earlier post when you configure backup-interface pointing to the BRI interface it puts it into the special state of standby. This is exactly what your output shows. As I also pointed out when the BRI is in standby doing a shutdown of the primary interface will not activate the backup. When you issue the shutdown command the IOS assumes that you want the interface down and will not activate the backup. To activate the backup you need to produce a failure of the primary interface. You can unplug the interface, configure the interface to change the encapsulation of one end, configure the other end with no keepalive, or anything that will produce a failure of the interface on your router and the BRI should activate. But shutdown will not activate and this is the normal behavior of IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

imnilesh
Level 1
Level 1

HI;

can you post ur isdn config. to help you

HI Imnilesh,

Pls find ISDN configuratio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card