Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP reachability

ankitohc
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello Experts,

We are having some intermittent issue with internet.

When I did traceroute the ISP IP 

I found the below sometime I get RTO on 7 hop. What does it mean? Can anyone please explain?

4 Replies 4

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @ankitohc ,

the traceroute command is one of the tools used in troubleshooting IP connectivity issues in a network. It works by sending ICMP or UDP packets to every host along a route to the destination host you entered in the traceroute command. It starts sending the packets with TTL=1 so the packets don't go beyond the first hop which will send back to the source a TTL Exceeded message.

For each hop, the source send 3 packets and record the round trip time for each of the packets.

If a hop on the route doesn't send a reply back to the source, for example icmp is restricted by an access-list, a * is printed instead of the round trip time.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Thank you for the answer however why it replies sometime and sometime it does not- as you see in the image

It can happen that some of the probes sent will timeout and other ones don't.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@ankitohc 

You see that behaviour often when devices out there don't allow tracerouteso you do see those * on it

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card