cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4431 in Controller Mode?

jmcgrady1
Level 1
Level 1

Ive just booted a new ISR4431 router. Its running IOS 17.5.  It tells me it is in "Controller Mode". How do i make it go to plain ordinary router mode?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Controller Mode means the router has boot into SD-WAN. 

The router can be "converted" back to Autonomous mode but with "some effort" because, for some strange reason, the process is not documented by Cisco. 

Let us know if you want to back to Autonomous Mode.  If you do, post the complete output to the following commands: 

1. sh version
  2. sh boot
  3. dir

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the image is SD-WAN ( and you like to convert SD-WAN image to IOS-XE big tough i guess - never tried)

you need to go back to IOS-XE

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/sdwan-xe-gs-book/install-upgrade-17-2-later.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

sheikhashar35
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently faced the same issue with ISR 4221/K9 router while deploying it. 

I have two solutions for this one :

1. Simply use controller-mode disable in privilege mode and the router will get auto rebooted. After rebooting it will allow you to go to config mode and do all sort of configuration.

2. This one is bit tricky . First remove all the dir from you router boot and then add only that router image either through tftp server or a usb stick.

Let me know whether it worked for you or not.

Hi,

controller mode is relevant when you have SD-WAN and you manage routers via controllers (especially, vmanage - sdwan manager).

controller-mode disable

This simple command makes router be autonomous mode and you have regular IOS XE router.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/cloud_edge/c8300/software_config/cat8300swcfg-xe-17-book/isr9000swcfg-xe-16-12-book_chapter_01.pdf

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card