Helpful
Replies

L2 Failover link

alshamlan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I am planning to provide a redudnt link to our customer. The setup as below:

One link over wireless while the other link over wired link, I want to make sure that I should maintain the same public IP addresses for the customer therefore, I am looking for L2 failover for my customer.

If the wireless down the customer should migrated to wired and vis versa.

any Idea fot this implementaions as I have 7200 CISCO Router as Core.

Reagrds

3 Replies 3

Hardik Vaidh
Level 1
Level 1

yup.. configure HSRP on the cisco core and assing two virtual IP one for WAN connection the other for LAN conncetion....

point your router traffic on that HSRP virtual ip so that you can get fialover upto link level.... it's call high availibility (HA)

Thanks Hardik,

Can you please explain more as I need to maintain the same public IP addresses if any of the link went down.

anyone can help, as I am searching abour GRE tunneling that can implmented for the same but I need more info.

regards

Hardik Vaidh
Level 1
Level 1

Yup...

Assume your PC gate IP is 192.168.1.1..

configure on the core switch 192.168.1.1 as virtual ip and point to the lan(Access layer switch)

configure other virtual ip 172.21.144.1 and point to the WAN (Router).

make sure both side u have to point your traffic on the same virtual ip...means your router also pointed on 172.21.144.1 ip..

Router one pointed to 172.21.144.1 and router two also pointed 172.21.144.1 bcoz 172.21.144.1 is your HSRP or VRRP ip for WAN.

try it... hope u understand... if any classification feel free to contact me..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card