cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 extension with VXLAN L2VNI

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

We have two P2P's that we are installing between our data center and a Colo location.  They are requesting we do Layer 2 extension with Vxlan L2VNI.  Having never set that up, I am some questions on best practice and configuration.  

We do have a Nexus at the Core, is it best to connect that P2P to the Core and do a Vlan with a Firewall or would it be best to send the P2P to a Cisco router and complete the change that way?

After that discussion what is an example config .

2 Replies 2

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @TRACY HARTMANN 

To set up a L2 extension with VxLAN L2vni over a P2P link between your DC and a colo location using nexus switches at the core is recommended due to their advanced feature set and performance capabilities.

Connect the P2P links to the Nexus switches, as they provide robust support for VXLAN features and integration with other network services. Using the firewall inline for VXLAN traffic is not common practice; instead, place it at the L3 boundary or use it in a service chaining scenario. Nexus switches should handle VxLAN encapsulation and decapsulation, leveraging dedicated hardware support for these processes. Configure the necessary features on the Nexus switch by enabling NV overlay and VXLAN, then set up the NVE interface with a loopback interface as the source for VXLAN tunnels. Map VLANs to VNis and, if using multicast, configure the appropriate multicast routing and PIM settings. If using BGP EVPN for the VXLAN control plane, configure BGP with the relevant L2VPN EVPN settings.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/whitepaper-c11-742114.html

Not easy task' it need to config GW in each DC site'

Check link above' I never try before but I can give you some advice if ypu stop in any steps

Goodluck friend in your task 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card