Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 Over Layer 3 WAN Connection

Patrick McHenry
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I tried to post this question the other day. I updated the diagram to give a more accurate view of what I wan to accomplish.

I want to tunnel a VLAN across the WAN but, I want to connect to the Provider with only one link. I want the VLAN and the layer 3 routing to exist on the same wire. Najaf KC posted some links that were good but, not sure if they really are describing what I am trying to accomplish. And I'm not sure if what I am trying to do is even possible.

He suggested L2TPv3 but, from the diagrams on the docs it looks like the PE has a seperate connection for the VLAN. Not sure if those are logical connections or actual connections.

http://www.networkstudies.co.uk/2011/11/extend-your-lan-across-multiple-sites.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/wan_lserv/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/wan-l2-tun-pro-v3-xe.pdf

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think the dotted lines are logical rather than physical. Your LAN to LAN will be via the pseudowire with loopback as the source of the tunnel. This will go over layer 3. Just make sure you have reachability (routes to tunnel sources and destinations). The rest (Remote LAN or Campus LAN) will be routed via CE routers. It will only use one connection to the PE routers from CE.

I think this is normally the way it would work.

Hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think the dotted lines are logical rather than physical. Your LAN to LAN will be via the pseudowire with loopback as the source of the tunnel. This will go over layer 3. Just make sure you have reachability (routes to tunnel sources and destinations). The rest (Remote LAN or Campus LAN) will be routed via CE routers. It will only use one connection to the PE routers from CE.

I think this is normally the way it would work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bilal - I'll try and lab it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card