Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Load Balancing and Redundancy

gunnydaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So I am standing up a new Layer 3 LAN with all connections being Layer 3 connections. The goal is to have two layer 3 core switches and several user access switches with a connection back to both cores.

When using layer 2, I know you can use VPC between cores and then use HSRP to point traffic to one Core or the other, and when one Core fails traffic will automatically re-direct to the the second core. However, When it comes to Layer 3, this is not a viable option.

Is there a protocol I can use between the two Layer 3 core switches and the Layer 3 user access switches, which will provide load balancing and redundancy? I was looking at GLBP as a possible solution but I am not sure how the configs would work on the user access switches. I have provided an image to give an idea of what I am talking about. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, I'm suggesting you use just a dynamic routing protocol or if you use static routes, then use mHSRP as (some) addresses in the static route.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello

Are those two L3 Nxos switches going to be in a VPC domain?

Do you require a L2 exteneded vlan design or can the acces-Layer also be L3?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

There will be no VPC domain involved on the Nxos'. The access layer will also be layer 3 (interfaces with ips and layer 3 interface vlans).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If your L3 is using a dynamic routing protocol, many will do ECMP load balancing and provide resiliency for your traffic. I.e. I would suggest using a dynamic routing protocol over some combination of static routes and a FHRP. (BTW, for the latter, something like mHSRP would likely be a better choice than GLBP.)

Hello Joseph,

So are you saying that I should use a Dynamic routing protocol between the user access switches and the cores and MHSRP between the two cores?

Thanks,

Matt

No, I'm suggesting you use just a dynamic routing protocol or if you use static routes, then use mHSRP as (some) addresses in the static route.

Matt

thanks for the drawing. It clearly shows the access switch as a layer 3 switch with layer 3 links to 2 core switches. Assuming this is correct I would certainly suggest running a dynamic routing protocol (EIGRP, OSPF, etc) between the access switch and each core switch. As @Joseph W. Doherty  points out this should provide equal cost load sharing and would provide failover to the surviving switch if there was a failure on a core switch. 

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card