Views
Helpful
Replies

LISP and proxy-etr

iores
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a simple lab with two edge (iTR and eTR devices) and Map Server/Resolver between them.

I cannot ping within the LISP site (from Edge 1 to Edge 2) if I omitt proxy-etr from MS/MR node. I presume this is because MR gets disabled. However, when I check the show ip lisp map-cache at Edge-1 I can see the RLOC and other data for destinatiom prefix at Edge-2.

I am trying to understand what exactly is going on, and why ping isn't working when I ommit the proxy-etr command from MR/MS node..

2 Replies 2

@iores 

There is a very nice article here in the community about LISP deployment:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/lisp-fundamentals-and-troubleshooting-basics/ta-p/3155439

About you question, one reason I can imagine is that if you are ping from one interface from one router to one interface from another router and your are crossing the router, you may end up in a scenario where you are actually going from one access network to another access network.

"LISP Proxy ETR
A LISP PETR implements ETR functions on behalf of non-LISP sites. A PETR is typically used when a LISP
site needs to send traffic to non-LISP sites but the LISP site is connected through an access network of a
service provider that does not accept nonroutable EIDs as packet sources."

@Flavio Miranda I am pinging within LISP site. The topology is Edge1<->MS/MR<->Edge-2.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card