Views
Helpful
Replies

LL to MPLS

mkannan_29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am using 2 leased lines(one E1 Serial & one v.35 Serial) terminated in my branch office to access servers at Head Office.

We are also having MPLS cloud for inter office connectivity(between H.O. & B.O.)

Currently we are planning to change the connectivity as mentioned below.

Existing connectivity

Servers --> L2 Switch --> Router -->  v.35/E1 Serial cable  --> Service Provider MUX --> Head Office

Proposed connectivity

Servers --> L2 Switch --> Router  -->  v.35/E1 Serial cable  --> Service Provider MUX --> Service Provider L2 Switch --> PE --> MPLS Cloud --> Head Office

In this I am having few questions

1) Whether any protocol mismatch in the handoff?

2) Any converter required for this to conver the leased line into ethernet before connecting it to L2 Switch(SP)

Please clarify on the above.

Regards,

M.K.

7 Replies 7

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

So, you are stating that there will be no  Router at your head office ?

If you are using serial links, and a garden variety wan connection (Frame relay, HDLC) how do you plan on terminating the link.

Why bother with the serial link/Mux in case #2? its unnecessary.

Like miller asked, what's the handoff on the HO side? Is it serial or Ethernet and what protocol are you running on it right now? PPP, HDLC, etc?

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Head Offic having ethernet handoff.

Hi miller,

I am not going to change Leased Line in my Branch Office. From Service provider's MUX the link will be extended upto MPLS Service Provider's L2 switch to reach MPLS cloud.

Head office will have MPLS link using router(handoff - ethernet).

Thanks,

M.K.

As per my understanding, Service Provider is already taking care of conversion in their core [Serial on one side and Ethernet on the other side].

A best solution for this kind of network using MPLS is AToM using VCs. Take a look at this doc and let me know if this suits you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/fsatomb.html

Thanks.

Hi Ram,

Service Provider needs to take the conversion from Serial to Ethernet or else we need to take care of the conversion.

Is there any route configuration change required(H.O. & B.O.)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

M.K.

If your running MPLS laer 3 VPN you will need to add Route descriptors, Import and export tragets.

Your provider should supply you with all the details.

If you are using QOS right now, make sure your QOS settings will be carried sucessfully across the provider backbone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card