cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LLQ with Two PQs for Voice and Video

Michael Mertens
Level 1
Level 1

Our MPLS WAN router QoS configurations have two Priority Queues- one for voice and one for video. Our current video network only consists of conference room video end-points; however, we are planning on rolling out different video end-points including desk-top video, telephony video and software video (jabber). Therefore, we'd like to provide different drop probability for each different video service within our AF4 class, such that jabber is marked AF43 with highest drop probability within AF4, 9951's/9971's telephony video is marked AF42 with a smaller drop probablity, EX60s/EX90s AF41 and conference room videos marked with CS4. Therefore, my question is that when these video streams hit the WAN router's video queue (which is a PQ), will the PQ act on the drop-probability, and drop AF43 before it drops AF42; and drop AF42 traffic before AF41, etc..? Or do I have to make the video queue a CB WFQ in order to get the drop-probabilty field to be acted upon for packets within the same queue?

Thanks!

Mike.               

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Actually there's only one LLQ.  Defining multiple LLQ classes just allows different implicit policers for that class traffic.

Because of LLQ's implicit class policers, I don't recall LLQ offering different tail drop priorities based on ToS marking.  You might be able to mimic drop preferences if your device allows setting queue depth per LLQ class.  And, of course, you can use either the implicit or an explicit rate policer.

Note - I think I understand what your are trying to configure but it may not be supported in an LLQ class.

Joseph, it is indeed one LLQ, however, the LLQ consists of 2 priority queues. In essence, I'm asking whether a priority queue, can discriminate against packets with DSCP values of different drop priorities. Truncated configuration below:

policy-map ato-gig-ipl-out-child

class NETWORK

bandwidth 1000

set dscp cs6

class VOICE

priority 2000

set ip dscp ef

class VIDEO

priority 2200

class-map match-any VIDEO

description video conferencing traffic

match dscp af43

match dscp af42

match dscp af41

match dscp cs3

class-map match-any VOICE

description Voice-Bearer Traffic

match dscp ef

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Joseph, it is indeed one LLQ, however, the LLQ consists of 2 priority queues. In essence, I'm asking whether a priority queue, can discriminate against packets with DSCP values of different drop priorities. Truncated configuration below:

Michael, you don't have two priority queues, you have two LLQ classes that map into the single/same LLQ.  (I'm fussing over terminology, because there was [still?] PQ for software routers and PQ on many Catalyst switches.  LLQ isn't exactly PQ because it has implicit policers.)

I also understand, I believe, what you are trying to acheive, which is to have different drop preferences (per DSCP marking), within the same LLQ class, when there's congestion.  I didn't recall any such features when I wrote my initial post, but at that time I was at home and couldn't check.  Just now, I logged onto an ISR running 12.4(24)T3, which supports HQF, and setting a class to LLQ precludes many other egress options.  I also tried defining a service-policy in the LLQ class, but again, child policy egress features are rejected because the parent class is a LLQ class.

As you wondered in your original post, you might be able to obtain the behavior you desire using a non-LLQ class.  To mimic LLQ de-scheduling behavior, you could set the bandwidth for that class very high, perhaps 99%, and police or shape to keep from monopolizing all the bandwidth.  If you shape, which will queue overrate traffic, you could then use a child policy with WRED and set different drop preferences per DSCP marking.

e.g.

class-map match-any Priority

match dscp af43

match dscp af42

match dscp af41

match dscp cs3

match dscp ef

policy-map Priority-drops

class class-default

random-detect dscp-based

policy-map ato-gig-ipl-out-child

class NETWORK

bandwidth remaining percent 99

set dscp cs6

class Priority

bandwidth percent 99

shape average percent 30

service-policy Priority-drops

Hi Mike,

What you were asking is multi level priority, which is only supported on newer generation routers. As Joseph mentioned, routers like ISR, ISR G2, 7200 only supports one priority queue; you can configure multiple classes in the queue, and you can police per class level, however, it is still single priority queue and all packets are treated equally.

With the platform supports multi level priority, like ASR 1K, you can configure 2 level priority queue, one with higher priority, and the other has lower priority, two priority queues will be treated individually.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Lei, Your last statement is exactly it- We do have an ASR1002, and the configuration is from that. My question is, WITHIN that (2nd) priority queue, will it differentiate between packets with different  drop-probablity markings? I do see that random-detect is not allowed for a PQ and that "bandwidth or shape command is required to configure random-detect" when attempting to apply RED to the configuration. If the answer to my question is no, then Josephs's config example would be my only option.

Thanks both for your continued assistance.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, no WRED in PQ. You can have multiple classes in one PQ, each policed down to different CIR. I would also think whether it is needed to have different type of traffic in PQ. Like CS3, probably bandwidth is good enough, or web conference, probably the latency requirement isn't that strict. Maybe you can keep one video traffic in the 2nd PQ, and others in CBWFQ.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you both for your input- they both helped!

Mike.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card