Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing across 10 PPPoE links

paul_australia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently looking at implementing load balancing across 10 PPPoE based T1 links from the 1 provider. This provider does not support Multilink PPP nor do they support BGP.

Router used will be 2811 with a 16 port etherswitch connected to a wireless access point. What would you recommend as the best solution to share the load from approximately 80 users across the 10 PPPoE based connections?

Thanks

Paul

3 Replies 3

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

Paul,

You need to swith providers or tell them you would like a TLS link. Your going to end up haveing all kinds of problems with that many T1's/PPPoE links.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for replying to my post of the Cisco forum. It’s been a little hard getting feedback about my problem so I was hoping you could share some more of your thoughts about what I am trying to achieve.

Unfortunately, due to location we have no choice but the 10 T1 sized links we want to use. If you had no choice but to move forward with the setup we have, what config do you believe would give us the best possible results? If you could pass me along to some reference material that would also be of great help as this seems to be a very out the square type of problem unfortunately.

At the moment I was thinking of setting up 2 vlans with each one using round robin to go through half of the available T1 links. I do have a couple of months to get this solution implemented though, so I do have that in my favour.

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Patrick,

Just one side. What do you recommend?

Thanks again

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, 26 March 2006 7:21 AM

To: 'Paul Lopez'

Subject: RE: 10 PPPoE link via 2811 router

Paul,

Do you have control of both sides of the terminations or just one side?

Patrick

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for replying to my post of the Cisco forum. It’s been a little hard getting feedback about my problem so I was hoping you could share some more of your thoughts about what I am trying to achieve.

Unfortunately, due to location we have no choice but the 10 T1 sized links we want to use. If you had no choice but to move forward with the setup we have, what config do you believe would give us the best possible results? If you could pass me along to some reference material that would also be of great help as this seems to be a very out the square type of problem unfortunately.

At the moment I was thinking of setting up 2 vlans with each one using round robin to go through half of the available T1 links. I do have a couple of months to get this solution implemented though, so I do have that in my favour.

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

We have a similar technology here a company called Clear Wire is using the same type of technology. They have gone and bought a bunch of older frequencies from the government and put towers up in quite a few tier two cites.

So this is your mobile internet access that you want to load balance users out to the internet not to another site. This probably will make it a little easier now that I have a clear Idea of what it is you're trying to do. What you can do is create an advanced nat policy for each iburst modem. Hmmm have to think about that for a moment.

Well first off how many interfaces do you have on your router.

Second need to figure out if you can do pppoe over trunked sub interfaces don't see why you can't.

Third define your dhcp scope and nat policys for users per modem.

Allocate so many users per modem lets so for example 10 users per modem your nat policy will then be setup in chunks of ten.

First Ten go out subinterface 1 using Nat policy 1 nat policy 1 includes users 192.168.0.50-59

Second Ten go out subinterface 2 using Nat policy 2 nat policy 2 includes users 192.168.0.60-69

You get the idea from there. The subinterface idea will only work if trunked interfaces support pppoe I'm not sure that they do. If not you'll have to have a physical interface for each iburst modme. If pppoe is supported over a trunked interface then you'll just trunk to a switch and vlan it out fore each iburst modem.

HTH

Patrick

If you could

Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:31 PM

To: 'Patrick Laidlaw'

Subject: RE: 10 PPPoE link via 2811 router

Hi Patrick,

I was mentioning T1's because the actual tech we are using would most likely have been unknown to the majority of readers in the Cicso forums. What we are actually using is a system in Australia that Arraycomm has developed called Iburst (www.iburst.com.au) which basically uses a bunch of towers to transmit data wirelessly across major capital cities at speeds of upto 1Mbps. What we are trying to achieve is to string together 10 or so of these units (they require PPPoE authentication) so that we can create a wireless hotspot at locations which have no existing broadband infrastructure in place or the cost of having a link is prohibitive.

Obviously the more of these Iburst units we can connect together the more bandwidth we can offer clients where they need it (i.e. large events, conferences - that type of thing). For example, at one event we might have a conference with 80 or so people who require internet access - it is our goal to use the 2811 + 1 wireless AP + 10 or so iburst modems to give everyone adequate bandwidth to access the net.

On our side, they are all connected to the same provider which means they all use the same DNS and all have static IP's. The more I have been reading about this, the more it seems (like you say) that it is going to be more than a little tricky to get working well.

Thanks again

Paul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card