cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing across WAN links

kwillacey
Level 3
Level 3

I have two WAN links that I would like to load balance traffic across using EIGRP but both links come in on a switch card and are separated using VLANS. I know with EIGRP its important to have the delay and bandwidth set to accomplish load balancing.

My question is should I place the bandwidth and delay on the VLAN interface or on the Fast Ethernet interface???

18 Replies 18

Once again, with regard to the "unequal cost path balancing of EIGRP":

1. It is not what the original poster asked about. In no occasion he said the links were of different speed or topology.

2. Despite any document claiming so, is not proved to work and has no known implementation in customer networks.

3.It can introduce instability and and is not recommended by Cisco TAC.

You will find that people that talks about it, has just read it on the documentation and never tried it, much less using in a real live network.

The links are of the same bandwidth, at first only one end was load balancing but then I applied the bandwidth statements on the other end and it started to load balance.

I had put the bandwidth statement on the fastethernet interface and nothing happened and then I had put it on the vlan interface and it started to load balance so I guess I got my answer.

Hi,

That is consistent with the indications we gave you about routing paramenter to be configured under VLAN interface and not physical interface.

Would you consider rating useful posts using the scrollbox below? In fairness this thread would benefit from it, having got a low rating for no reason whatsoever.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card