cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing between two ISP's

benthomas
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently running a 7206VXR router with two FastEthernet ports to an ISP via a 1 Meg link and we are in a process of purchasing a second router with the same spec and connect it to a different ISP also via a 1 Meg link. Which is the best way to load balance traffic between the two links? Which protocol must we use, OSPF, BGP,etc...

5 Replies 5

nathan.deane
Level 1
Level 1

It is worth reading about BGP Multi-Homing. Check out this document for a configuration example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009456d.shtml

Not to sure if there are any limitations using per packet / destination load balancing with the connection from 2 ISP's i would not think so

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/cisco/cisco-load.html

Nathan

abolfathi_0248
Level 1
Level 1

i was facing such situation.our company use 2 uplink to Internet via 2 diffrent ISP.we want to loadbalance traffic on both link and increase avalibility of our published servers so that servers be accessible throuth 2 uplinks.we use cisco 2621XM and 3662 for each link and we don't want useing any form of Dynamic routing or BGP.searching cisco website to find such feature come we no result.therefor i use a Linux box for this purpose.Linux kernel have ability to loadbalance (with PBR and equal cost multipath load balancing and NAT/PAT) egress traffic and high avalibility for ingress traffic(if u want your servers be accessible even one of your uplink goes down).it also can detect dead gateway and work fine with your existing cisco routers.

see www.lartc.org (Linux Advance Routing and Trffic control)

abolfathi_0248
Level 1
Level 1

i was facing such situation.our company use 2 uplink to Internet via 2 diffrent ISP.we want to loadbalance traffic on both link and increase avalibility of our published servers so that servers be accessible throuth 2 uplinks.we use cisco 2621XM and 3662 for each link and we don't want useing any form of Dynamic routing or BGP.searching cisco website to find such feature come we no result.therefor i use a Linux box for this purpose.Linux kernel have ability to loadbalance (with PBR and equal cost multipath load balancing and NAT/PAT) egress traffic and high avalibility for ingress traffic(if u want your servers be accessible even one of your uplink goes down).it also can detect dead gateway and work fine with your existing cisco routers.

see www.lartc.org (Linux Advance Routing and Trffic control)

It may also be worth looking a gateway loadbalancing protocol (GLBP)

This has the ability to share traffic across to connections on multiple routers.

another alternative would be a Foundry / Cisco loadbalancer

jayn
Level 1
Level 1

Look in OER feature (Optimized edge routing) whiich is available from I think 12.3T.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card