cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Long Reach Ethernet

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I'm looking for some information about a LRE solution. I want to connect 2 buildings less than a mile apart that have a voice T1 between them. I’ve read several notes, but they all seem to say the same thing, which doesn’t answer my questions, and I'm so far unable to find any good technical documentation regarding configuring LRE. All I know isyou need a LRE switch, a POTS splitter, and the Cisco 500 LRE CPE, but does that mean I need that equipment at both ends, so 2 of each. It supposedly runs over the voice T1, so can I get rid of my data T1 if we implement LRE?

Thank you,

Bill

3 Replies 3

Hello Bill,

have a look at the following link, scroll down to the picture at the bottom, it shows a physical setup for an LRE solution. Looks like you need the CPE at both ends, and then one POTS splitter in between.

My understanding is that any voice application would run over the LRE connection just as it would over your T1. What kind of equipment (e.g. IP phones) do you have in place right now ?

Long-Reach Ethernet

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/servpro/solutions/long_ethernet/

Regards,

GP

Hello

we're not using VoIP yet. What I have are 2 buildings connected via 2 voice T1 trunks, and 1 data T1 for the internetwork. The one building has a nortel PBX which runs to my building, and terminates at a demarc in my building, runs to a couple of Nortel Meridian boxes that house the digital and analog cards which run to punchdown blocks, and ultimately desktops. I've come across the same URL, but only got a sales pitch out of it, not much technical info. The diagram doesn't compare well to my setup, and am so far unable to tell with any confidence where LRE can/should be implemented.

thank you

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

LRE would not be compatible running over the same media with a T1.

POTS is analog, T1 is digital.

LRE can co-exist with POTS, either using one device to put the signal onto the same pair (pair 1, pins 4&5, the blue pair) as voice (similar to DSL), or a different device that puts the signal over the (usually) unused pair.

LRE is meant to be a distribution system for data where the infrastructure is not within the usual spec for data (i.e., voice-grade cabling, limited pair availability), not for driving long distances.

You'd do better using something like a T1 Line Driver (if you own the copper between the buildings).

Based on your description, I'd say no, LRE will not be able to replace your data T1.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card