cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loop prevention in IS-IS(Link State Protocols)

network_geek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am a bit confused whenever I try to understand the loop prevention mechanism used by IS-IS or you can also broadly say Link-State Routing Protocols. Can anyone help me in understanding this?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A link-state protocol, like OSPF ad IS-IS, create a graph of their (area) topology, and using Dijkstra's algorithm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm), create a loop free "tree" (with computing router as root).

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @network_geek ,

just to add to what has been already noted by Joseph

Link state routing protocols use the same SPF algorithm on the SAME  set of data the link state database within an area.

As a result of this the SPF calculations are loop free.

Most of the efforts in link state is in flooding data structures called LSP in IS-IS terms within a scope.

The LSPs and the LSPs built by DIS in each LAN segment ( the so called pseudo node) allows to actually build a topology map accurate that tells what routers are connected to a LAN segment also to devices that are not connected to it.

The use of the topology map is the great advantage of link state DB.

when a change occurs a timer is started and and a new SPF is not executed timmediately but only after that timer expires this is to give all nodes the time to receive and process the new data and eventually receive and process other new data structures.

if additonal changes happen the new SPF calculation may be delayed more in an attempt to avoid unnecessary cycles.

To be more accurate : link state is loop free in almost all cases but there are some temporary corner cases where a loop can form.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Giuseppe for your information. Could you please tell me more about routing loops in case of IS-IS routing?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card