cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lowest cost means to transport low speed HDLC over IP

John_in_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

I have a need to transport low speed (rates of 19,200 bps or less) HDLC frames over IP.  I’m only interested in layer 2 transport.  I’ve looked at briefly at L2TPv3 but this seems only to be supported on high-end hardware. CEoIP also seems overkill for my needs.

I’m thinking more of WIC-1T single serial port WAN interface cards in a 2811.  I know these are designed to implement circuits over a serial WAN but is it possible in some way to configure them to address my need and convey HDLC over IP?

Failing the 2811 what other low cost Cisco options are there?

3 Replies 3

Hello

Possible GRE tunnel . This will encapsulate into ip over the tunnel or maybe a pseudo-wire (ATOM)

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll have a look at GRE.

I was thinking perhaps STUN might be the option that would work best with older hardware and IOS combinations. STUN basic without local-ack look interesting but I'd appreicate some thoughts from anyone who's done something like this.

John_in_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

OK, the cheapest option worked out to be a couple of 2621XM routers with WIC 1T serial cards.

The STUN protocol looked the simplest choice.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card