Helpful
Replies

Mac Address Aging Time Best Practice

Hamidsattarrana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

Hope you are doing great. 

I want to know the best practice for configuring mac address aging time when you have laptops and Cisco IP Phones connected to the Switch-ports.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if this is standard access port - i would leave it default - The default is 300 seconds

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What if port is Switch Port is connected to Access Point? What is the best practice for configuring that port Access or Trunk?

Second: I am having lots of Mac address flapping errors between Access Switches and Core Switch. Even I have configured Rapid STP and Bpduguard enabled on switch-ports connected to Cisco IP Phones 7940/7960. Flaps only occur on switch-ports connected to Cisco IP Phones.

%SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 3ca9.f46d.377c in vlan 300 is flapping between port Gi0/1 and port Fa0/17

still i suggest default config here, until special requirement.

Other one not related to topic of MAC address aging.

We need more information related to flapping port, and confifuration and explain more about environment.

what is the the device connected to this ports : flapping between port Gi0/1 and port Fa0/17 

Humble suggestion do not mix two topic in to one thread hard to follow and reply sometimes. if this is new open new thread so memeber happy to address your issue, subject is different and thread is going in different direction.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello Hamidsattarrana,

Usually you need change aging time in Core, especially if you are using HSRP, VRRP or other protocol os redundancy.

No need changes aging time in borders switches.

MAC flapping not necessarily an error, in a wireless environment, for example when client change of AP (roaming) MAC flapping occurs because now it is in other port.

Please, share your real problem?

For view what MAC do you have a problem, consult Wireshark

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

If the MAC is a Samsung, Motorola, or other in Wireless, I think do you don't have a problem.

Please rate and mark posts accordingly if you have found any of the information provided useful.
It will hopefully assist others with similar issues in the future.

Best regards,
Lucas Freitas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card